Here’s a bunch of links to other hiking / scrambling / climbing sites around the ‘net. I regularly use these for planning my trip reports and at lunch time when I’m at work planning for the next trip!
Personal Web Sites
- Alan Kane’s Site – the man who started the ‘scramble craze’ in Calgary!
- Alison Sekara’s site – tons of backpacking and scrambling trips.
- Andrew Nugara’s site – yes he’s baaaack!
- Anton Baser has done a number of great mountaineering trips and takes great photos too.
- Ben Nearingburg‘s Site.
- Bill Corbett’s Site – a master of the Rockies!
- Bill Kerr’s Site – Bill does everything from scambling to mountaineering. He has great route photos and descriptions.
- Bivouac.com – Many route descriptions and trip reports, especially valuable are Rick Collier’s reports which are both hilarious and useful.
- Bob Spirko’s Road Not Taken – excellent alternate routes and supplement to Kane and Nugara scrambles.
- Brandon Boulier has done a lot of mountain exploring over the past few years – and I think he’s just getting started!
- Brooke Willson’s blog – Canmore travel blogger with some great perspectives.
- Canada’s Mountains – good descriptions of some scrambles and hikes.
- Cody Beyer’s Blog – some great alternate “off the beaten track” trips.
- Cornelius’ Blog, Spectacular Mountains – lots of more obscure scrambles and great trip reports.
- Dow William’s Site – many amazing trips, lots of them solo. Dow does everything from biking to ice climbs to mountaineering and rock climbing. He’ll even do the occasional scramble!
- Eric Coulthard’s Site – Eric does some really interesting, out-of-the-way climbs / scrambles. One of the best sites out there.
- Flowers of the Canadian Rockies – Rachel has a great collection of wildflowers and an easy way to ID them. I like flowers OK?!
- Golden Scrambles – lots of trips around the BC side of the Rockies.
- Hiking in the Rockies – Some great hikes.
- Jamie Junker – some great trips including crazy running times on scrambles.
- Jon Guy’s photo gallery. Lots of trips with great pictures, labeled peaks and route descriptions.
- Kananaskis Trails – Local guidebook authors Tony and Gillean Daffern keep us up to date on everything from avalanche awareness to the latest trails and trail conditions.
- Kate Hurley’s ProneToWandering site has lots of good information and photos.
- Kerry Vizbar’s Site – Kerry goes out a lot and gets a lot of great photos too.
- Kevin Barton’s Blog – Kev is a great guy to bag 11,000er’s with! I owe a lot to him for helping me up a bunch of my favorite peaks.
- Marko Stavric’s Site – Marko gets out a LOT and has many wonderful photographs to prove it.
- Matt Hobb’s Site – Lots of great trips reports from around the Rockies.
- Meanderthals: A Hiking Blog
- The Minimule – Lots of great hikes with varying degrees of involvement.
- Mountain Obsession – pretty obvious what this site is about!
- Natrivia – Discover campgrounds and hiking trails
- Mike Mitchell’s Giant’s Gate Journeys site – an impressive web site with lots of data including maps
- Parry Loeffler’s Photos – Parry does a lot of interesting and varied trips.
- Paul Zizka’s blog – a local Rockies photographer and adventurer with some good perspectives.
- Raffinator (Rafal Kazmierczak) – Raf gets out more than anyone else I know and he’s starting to document his trips in detail which is great!
- Raphael Slawinski’s Blog – More climber than I’ll ever hope to be! Very interesting reads here.
- Rick Collier’s site – Rick is the one guy I know that gets out more than Raff! 😀
- Rob’s Scrambles and Summits website.
- Robert Engelen has put in a lot of time to record his mountain fishing adventures in the mountain ponds of Kananaskis Country.
- Scramble Cdn Mountains – Alan does a bit of everything too.
- So Nakagawa’s Site – So has a great site with quite a few trip reports on it. Very comprehensive route analysis.
- Sonny’s Bou Avenue – Sonny has completed all the Kane scrambles plus a good many more peaks.
- Spectacular Mountains – Cornelius does many off-the-beaten-trail peaks and interesting objectives.
- Steven Song is setting a blistering pace for peaks in the Rockies!
- Summits and Such – Kyle does a bit of everything from ice climbing to scrambling.
- TJ Neault’s photos – Another hard core climber who gets out a lot.
- Trevor Sexsmith’s Perpetual Ski blog has many incredible ski descents and solo mountaineering objectives.
- Wietse Bylsma’s Canada4U – Wietse has many photographs from his trips posted here.
- Willis Tsai’s Site – some alternate scrambles and good route photos.
Organizations that I Like
- GeekPrepper.org – Some good articles on camping and hiking.
Online Articles / Stories of Worth
Sometimes I come across really cool articles or mountain stories that beg to be shared.
- Climbing the West face of Mount Alberta
Group / Organizational Web Sites
Photographer Site Links
- Darwin Wiggett is one of my favorite landscape photographers.
- George Brybycin has been taking photos of the Rockies for year.
- Galen Rowell. Lost too early.
- Jim Colwell’s site of used lens prices.
- John Scurlock’s site has many arial shots of Rockies and other peaks.
- Michael Richmann is another Canadian favorite of mine.
- The Visual Science Lab – great photography blog and funny too.
Photography Technique / Tips / Tricks Links
- Tom Kaszuba’s HDR Technique
Knots and Climbing Techniques
- Climbing Blogger – A great site with many articles about climbing / gear and techniques.
- Climbing Knots – Animated pictures showing how to tie common climbing knots.
- Crevasse Rescue – Great diagrams and suggestions for glacier travel / rescue.