Here's a bunch of links to other hiking / scrambling / climbing sites around the 'net. I regularly use these for planning my trip reports and at lunch time when I'm at work planning for the next trip!
Personal Web Sites
- Alan Kane's Site - the man who started the 'scramble craze' in Calgary!
- Andrew Nugara - Drew and Mark in the Canadian Rockies - Andrew has written the second scrambles book (after the Alan Kane book) for the Canadian Rockies. He takes amazing pictures and has great route photos and hundreds of trips on his site.
- Anton Baser has done a number of great mountaineering trips and takes great photos too.
- Antri's Site - Antri does everything from hiking to climbing.
- Bill Corbett's Site - a master of the Rockies!
- Bill Kerr's Site - Bill does everything from scambling to mountaineering. He has great route photos and descriptions.
- Bivouac.com - Many route descriptions and trip reports, especially valuable are Rick Collier's reports which are both hilarious and useful.
- Bob Spirko's Road Not Taken - excellent alternate routes and supplement to Kane and Nugara scrambles.
- Canada's Mountains - good descriptions of some scrambles and hikes.
- Dave's (Stephens) Place - the original climbing and scrambling in Alberta resource site on the internet. Getting dated now because Dave no longer climbs but still lots of good route photos and interesting stories.
- Dow William's Site - many amazing trips, lots of them solo. Dow does everything from biking to ice climbs to mountaineering and rock climbing. He'll even do the occasional scramble! :-)
- Eric Coulthard's Site - Eric does some really interesting, out-of-the-way climbs / scrambles. One of the best sites out there.
- Flowers of the Canadian Rockies - Rachel has a great collection of wildflowers and an easy way to ID them. I like flowers OK?! :-)
- Golden Scrambles - lots of trips around the BC side of the Rockies.
- Hiking in the Rockies - Some great hikes.
- Jay Wilcox's Site - JW is hardcore into biking, scrambling, rock and ice climbing, ski and general mountaineering. If it involves going up and/or down a mountain, he's into it!
- Jon Guy's photo gallery. Lots of trips with great pictures, labelled peaks and route descriptions.
- Kananaskis Trails - Local guidebook authors Tony and Gillean Daffern keep us up to date on everything from avalanche awareness to the latest trails and trail conditions.
- Kerry Visbar's Site - Kerry goes out a lot and gets a lot of great photos too.
- Kevin Barton's Blog - Kev is a great guy to bag 11,000er's with! I owe a lot to him for helping me up a bunch of my favorite peaks.
- Marko Stavric's Site - Marko gets out a LOT and has many wonderful photographs to prove it.
- Parry Loeffler's Photos - Parry does a lot of interesting and varied trips.
- Peakhunter - Raff gets out more than anyone else I know.
- Raphael Slawinski's Blog - More climber than I'll ever hope to be! Very interesting reads here.
- Rick Collier's site - Rick is the one guy I know that gets out more than Raff! :D
- Rob's Scrambles and Summits website.
- Scott Berry's Albums - Scott has a wealth of climbing experience.
- Scramble Cdn Mountains - Alan does a bit of everything too.
- So Nakagawa's Site - So has a great site with quite a few trip reports on it. Very comprehensive route analysis.
- Sonny's Bou Avenue - Sonny has completed all the Kane scrambles plus a good many more peaks.
- Steven Song is setting a blistering pace for peaks in the Rockies!
- Summits and Such - Kyle does a bit of everything from ice climbing to scrambling.
- Thomas' Site - Hard core guy. Very.
- TJ Neault's photos - Another hard core climber who gets out a lot.
- Top of the World - Bennet Wong's site has some great pictures and trips.
- Wietse Bylsma's Canada4U - Wietse has many photographs from his trips posted here.
- Willis Tsai's Site - some alternate scrambles and good route photos.
Online Articles / Stories of Worth
Sometimes I come across really cool articles or mountain stories that beg to be shared.
- Climbing the West face of Mount Alberta
- Committed - the Smileys climb the 50 classics and film it all in HD.
Group / Organizational Web Sites
- Accidents in the National Parks
- The ACMG Mountain Conditions Blog
- Rocky Mount Ramblers
- The Calgary Scramblers
- RMBooks Outdoors Forum
Photographer Site Links
- Darwin Wiggett is one of my favorite landscape photographers.
- George Brybycin has been taking photos of the Rockies for year.
- Galen Rowell. Lost too early.
- Jim Colwell's site of used lens prices.
- Michael Richmann is another Canadian favorite of mine.
- Daniel Kennedy has a refreshing take on landscape photography from 'down under'.
- The Visual Science Lab - great photography blog and funny too.
Photography Technique / Tips / Tricks Links
- Tom Kaszuba's HDR Technique
Knots and Climbing Technics
- Climbing Knots - Animated pictures showing how to tie common climbing knots.
- Crevasse Rescue - Great diagrams and suggestions for glacier travel / rescue.
Flower / Wildlife ID Sites
- Government Topo Maps (great for checking on peak names...)